Douglas County    City of Omaha    Website Issues   


Bookmark and Share


The Citizen Complaint Process

Citizen complaints against Omaha Police Officers and/or non-sworn employees are investigated by the Internal Affairs Unit, (402) 444-5629 .


Any citizen may obtain the necessary complaint form at any one of the following locations: 

  1. Mayor’s Office
  2. All Omaha Public Libraries
  3. Police Precinct Stations
  4. Central Headquarters - 505 South 15th Street
  5. Forms below - Note: Do NOT sign the form (see below)

What happens next: 

  1. After filling out the form, contact the Internal Affairs Unit at (402) 444-5629 and advise them that you are ready to formalize your complaint.
  2. The Internal Affairs Commander will then assign the case to an investigator for follow-up.
  3. The assigned investigator will begin by contacting you to schedule an interview. Do not sign the complaint form until you are in the presence of the Internal Affairs investigator. Once signed, the Internal Affairs investigator will provide you with a photocopy of the complaint form.

    NOTE: You will be allowed to bring a personal representative or associate with you to the interview if you desire.
  4. After the investigation is complete, the Chief will review the case file and make a finding of one of the following:

    • Sustained — There is enough evidence to prove the allegation is true.
    • Not-Sustained — There is not enough evidence to prove or disprove the allegation.
    • Exonerated — The incident occurred but was lawful and proper.
    • Unfounded — The complaint or allegation is proven false. 
    • Policy Failure — The incident may or may not have occurred, but the investigation disclosed faulty practices, policies and/or procedures. 

  5. You will be notified of the results of the investigation by a letter from the Chief of Police.

    Warning Filing a false complaint is a crime. False complaints are forwarded to the City Prosecutor's Office so filing criminal charges can be considered.